St Clare’s of Assisi Parish
Born Clara Offreducia in 1194 St. Clare was a friend of St. Francis. From him she learned to love God and his wonderful creation. She shared with him the desire to bring all people to a deeper love of God and of each other.
Clare died in 1253 and was canonised a mere two years later. Shortly before her death, when Clare was too ill to attend Mass at Christmas, she clearly saw the Mass in a vision. For this ability to see from afar St. Clare was made patroness of television in 1958.
St Francis’ of Assisi Parish
St Francis church was built circa 1934 to provide for the catholic community of the expanding areas of the west of Linthorpe,Acklam and Whinney Banks, The parish area originally covered the whole of Acklam, through Brookfield and up to Hemlington. St Clare’s and the “new” Cathedral stand in that part of the original parish area which for most of the 30’s, 40’s and 50’s was mainly arable area.